Sun Rise Neuse River

Sun Rise Neuse River
January 2, 2009

14 August 2010

Single-handed Sailing on the Neuse River

I decided to practice single-handed sailing today (14 August). The weather forecast for Pamlico Sound looked promising (E Winds 10 to 15 knots. Waves 1 ft.). It was a stormy day on Friday the 13th (the only Friday 13th in 2010. The next one will be in May 2011 and that will be only one for 2011 too).



In the morning, my gut feeling was telling me something wasn't right. I checked the weather forecast on NOAA weather radio and internet. I also checked the wind forecast on SailFlow wind forecast for Pamlico Sound. They both were forecasting the same (East Winds 10 to 15 knots). From what I can tell, it seemed that the winds were coming out of the Northeast. Maybe by mid morning, the weather would be more promising and as forecasted. The good thing is that my slip is well protected from Northeast winds (and easterly winds). If the wind is coming out of the Northeast or easterly, then the wind would be pushing me onto the slip (therefore leaving and entering would be a breeze).



I decided to get my segelboot (sailboat) ready to get underway. The wind indicator was showing the winds from the Northeast at 10 knots at the slips. Again my gut feeling was to stay in port and wait for a better day to practice single-handed sailing, but I decided to get underway any way. Sometimes you have to push the envelope and take a chance. My gut feeling was right. When I cleared Whittaker Creek channel and started my track in the Neuse River, the wind was howling at 17 knots, gusting to 20 knots, and the seas were 1 to 2 feet (which made me wonder if I made the right choice).


My Hunter was built for single-headed sailing (with rollerfurlings jib and a in mast furlings system for the main), but I do not have an autopilot. When I locked down the wheel, I had 22 seconds before the vessel was out of the irons and at close haul. When you are letting out the main, the time span decreases. It usually takes me over 22 seconds to hoist the mainsail. I would be in a close reach in no time. The second part was rolling out the jib. I decided with winds from NE at a 17 knot wind (gusting to 20 knots) and seas 2 feet to sail with just the main up. I practiced maneuvering the vessel in the wind or should I say letting the wind take me where it wanted. Bringing down the main was easier than putting it up.


As expected, I did not have any issues mooring. At noon, the wind was still blowing out of the Northeast at 10 knots at the slip. Luckily no one was coming in or out of the basin so I practiced mooring several times. I wanted to back her in, so the trick was keeping the bow point up wind. I practiced several approachs and successfully moored Livin' On A Prayer. Over all it was a good learning experience. The lesson learned was to trust your gut. I am glad that I got underway and learned some dos and don'ts. Overall I missed my crew, especially the one who complains that I am coming in to fast and need to slow down, but I love her anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment